Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Plot Unfolds

Amazingly, even over a year after my last post, this project has not yet died. In fact, I don't think any of my projects ever truly die; they just go into very deep hibernation.

I don't remember the events leading up to the discovery; but I found an image of another custom Settlers board, and in fact an Instructables Article on how it was made. This one was made from scrap plywood into an abstract, but very cool 3D board.



While I mulled over the possibilities of making a similar board, either out of plywood, or wood shapes from craft stores, my mind wandered over to another interest of mine, papercraft models, and a new direction for my custom 3D board appeared in my mind.

I will now develop my custom Settlers board and playing pieces as papercraft.

If well designed, and printed on suitably heavy cardstock, the hexes should stand up to reasonable abuse during play.

Weight of the pieces might be a minor issue; the hexes and game pieces could easily be knocked about or blown away. However, there are ways of dealing with that.

For example, suitably sized flat washers affixed in the hex bases can provide weight and stability. Strip magnets (like those used on the back of fridge magnets) could easily be used at the edges within the structure of the hexes to hold them together during play.

The game pieces can be weighted with small fishing sinkers or small nuts/washers and glue stuffed within each piece.

An advantage to the papercraft concept, apart from being unique, is that if a part is damaged; then replacement is relatively easy. Just print out a new copy and assemble.

The papercraft board and pieces is just concept at the moment; so I don't have any other goodies to share. But hopefully soon, I will have some conceptual models of the hexes built.

No comments: