Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'd like Economics of Art for 400, Alex.

I realized recently, that when compared to the standard set of Settlers of Catan by Mayfair Games, my purchases for this project have already surpassed the cost to purchase it. This isn't suprising; it was pretty much a given that this would happen.

However, the real benchmark will be comparing the cost of this project to Mayfair's 10th Anniversary 3D edition of the game. It's the most appropirate comparison.

The comparison will encompass only the ecomonic aspect of the project; how much it costs me to produce my set of Settlers, compared to the cost of buying a 10th Anniversary set. There will be no comparison in terms of the detail of the 3D sculpture, or similar aspects; I'm going for a very different look to my set - particularly, a more cartoony look to the 3D sculpted pieces.

Looking around online game stores it seems that the average price for a set of the 10th Anniversary 3D Settlers of Catan is about $400. Add taxes to that and we end up with an approximate total of $450.

So, that's my benchmark. Will I be able to produce this 3D set of Settlers of Catan for $450 or less?

I've probably got just a little bit of equipment still to buy; but not much. I'm mostly set up and ready to go for the cards. I just need to look for and buy Clear Satin Acrylic Sealer/Finish; that'll be relatively easy to find.

Other than that, most of what I need to buy is more Fimo poly clay. Given the quantities I need, I'll be looking for deals wherever I can get them. But if anything is going to push me over the $450 dollar mark, the Fimo clay will do it.

It should be interesting to see how it all works out in the end.

No comments: