Saturday, March 1, 2008

I Must Be Getting Soft

A few items to post about tonight:

First, I went and checked out what was available at Hobby and Toy Central, here in Kitchener, regarding Fimo polymer clay. All they had in stock was Fimo Soft; that was a bit disappointing, 'cause I'd prefer to use Fimo Classic. Fimo Classic, which is stiffer to start with, and needs more working to make it more easily malleable, is also supposedly more durable after it's baked/cured.

So, not finding Fimo Classic in stock, I inquired if they could special order it. It turns out that Fimo Classic has been discontinued; so Fimo soft if gona be the product of... well, necessity, I suppose. It'll do, I guess. I bought two 54g (2oz.) blocks so that I could play around, experiment, and get familiar with working with Fimo, as well as what it's like once it's baked/cured.

On that note, I suppose I ought to mention that since I've started buying material and equipment for the project, I've added a table, keeping track of all the money I spend on the project, to the porject wiki over at ForgedRPG.

Next, as I prepare to start drawing up my soldiers for the development cards, I've been scouring the net hard for decent pictures of colonial era soliers, predominantly french soldiers, to use as inspiration. As part of this search, I've been checking some north-american history, particularly regarding the french-indian war, which was a war of key significance in Canada's history. Also as part of this search, I've been looking for pictures of aboriginal warriors of the era, and french and british soldiers of the era.

Well, I found out that key aboriginals involved in the conflicts of this era were the tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy. The Iroquois Confederacy consists of the Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Seneca, and the Tuscarora. The flag of the Iroquois Confederacy, which is based on an ancient belt of wampum is shown below.



I also found a few, well at least a couple, of good pics of aboriginal warriors - mohawk and oneida, I believe. So added to the inspirational pics of the french and british colonial soldiers I've got, I've got a solid basis to draw a series of soldiers that will be a tribute to the french, british, and aboriginal origins of this great Canadian nation.

Since I'll be going ahead with drawing aboriginal warriors (and british) in addition to the french soldiers, I've decided to use the motif of the Iroquois Confederacy flag in some way on the cards, most likely as a sort of border around the cards.

Well, I think that covers everything I wanted to mention in this update. Stay tuned.

No comments: