Tuesday, February 26, 2008

It's All In The Cards

I have finally made a decision about the cards, and particularly their size. The cards will be 2.375" x 3.5"; I will be using playing card blanks purchased from PlainsCards.com.

The PlainCards website described the card blank sheets as follows:

Blank on Both Sides Coatable Cards - 8 micro-perforated cards per 8-1/2 x 11 in. sheet. Cards measure 2-3/8 in. x 3-1/2 in (60 x 89 mm). These cards have a coating that enables them to be made glossy by spraying with the clear plastic playing card coating and they are true playing card stock. Your printer might require that adjustments be made to the advanced printer settings in order to obtain best printing results.





Since the card blanks are blank on both sides, I'll be able to fully customize the cards with custom backs as well as custom faces.

I won't be laminating the cards as I previously assumed I would do. Instead, I will use a spray coating/sealer on the cards to protect them and give them that typical playing card 'plastic coating'.

I can't get PlainCards' proprietary card coating spray up here in Canada, so I'm gonna have to find a slightly different solution available up here. I don't think that's going to be much of a problem. A satin finish clear acrylic spray sealer should do the job perfectly. I've used such a sealer before to protect wine labels. The satin finish acrylic sealer create a durable, only slightly shiny, and rather slippery/low friction finish. I can probably pick that kind sealer up almost anywhere.

No comments: